Week 2

Hi everyone!

Today, I'm going to explain what I've done so far on project in a little bit more detail. The current goal of my project is to develop a test that can detect a certain genetic change common in multiple myeloma cells. It'll be hard to talk about the work I'm doing without first discussing the basics of the genetic change I'm studying, so we'll start with a brief summary.

Multiple myeloma arises when the growth of plasma cells--the cells which produce antibodies--becomes poorly regulated. One of the processes important to the development of plasma cells is called VJ (variable-joining) rearrangement. In the gene I'm studying, which encodes part of the antibody called the lambda light chain, VJ rearrangement randomly selects one of many variable (V) regions and brings it next to a joining (J) region later in the genome. VJ rearrangement allows for an enormous variety of antibodies to be produced from a limited number of genes, and it plays an incredibly important in maintaining our adaptive immunity.

The goal of my project is to develop an assay using qPCR (a technique that allows for the amplification and quantification of DNA) to identify which V and J regions are rearranged in any given myeloma cell line or patient sample. Identifying these normal rearrangements can allow researchers and doctors to better identify and understand associations between genetic characteristics of myeloma cells and prognosis. The project might sound simple enough, but there are 33 different V regions I’ll have to identify along with 4 distinct J regions. And I’ll also have to distinguish between functional and non-functional rearrangements, but that’s a issue I’ll tackle once I can identify all rearrangements.

In the last two weeks, I’ve been focusing on a kind of initial small-scale test for my project. Instead of starting out with the goal of identifying all rearrangements in all myeloma samples, I’m starting with a single cell line with a known rearrangement so I can be sure I have the right idea and approach.

First, I mapped out the region I’m interested in for a cell line that was already known to have a lambda rearrangement. Next, we designed primers to amplify that known rearrangement. Primers are small pieces of DNA that bind to the larger template DNA molecule on either side of the region we want to amplify, allowing a special heat-resistant enzyme to amplify that piece of DNA exponentially in a process called polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The primer design process was simpler than I expected—all I needed to do was paste the sequence I wanted to amplify into a program called Primer 3Plus (see below).  

We ordered the primers from a company in San Diego, and within a day they’d already arrived in the lab! It’s absolutely amazing that molecular biology is so advanced that the synthesis of DNA molecules with whatever sequence we want is now trivial.

Unfortunately, the PCR itself isn’t always as simple as the primer design process. I’m facing a lot of problems with the primers not amplifying the VJ rearrangement like they’re supposed to and amplifying other regions that they shouldn’t be. I've only really had one clean result out of about 40 reactions, so I’m sending it in for sequencing first thing next week so I can confirm it's correct.

I’ve tried just about every variation on the PCR reaction, so it’s probably time to move on and design primers to amplify all the possible VJ rearrangements. But that’s an issue for next week’s post. See you then, and thanks for reading! 

12 comments:

  1. Hey Grady, looks like you're doing some pretty complicated science with DNA. Do you know any reasons why multiple myeloma develops? Or is it a reason that isn't entirely understood, such as genetics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grady, glad to see you have made progress on your research. It's astounding how much genetics has progressed to the point where we can learn a lot from the DNA. I hope to see how the PCR turns out next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grady! Is it possible to share a photo of your worksite and the primers? I'm imagining these must be some heavy duty machines... impressive that they arrived at your office so quickly! Do you order from a company that specializes in lab equipment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm impressed at how much initiative you have with your project! Are you working on a team or under the supervision of a professional? How expensive were these primers, and did you have to get approval to order them?

    I'm always excited to hear about VJ rearrangements, considering that I celebrate them every year on my birthday. I can't wait to hear about your progress next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grady! Thank you for explaining your research in such great detail; it really helps with the understanding of your project. Do you know why you are experiencing such difficulty with the amplification of the VJ rearrangement? I am excited to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grady, it's great to see that you've started by taking a small-scale test approach to your project first. Do you think it would be easier to increase the accuracy of the amplification process with all of the samples than with just a single cell line? I look forward to seeing your progress with the results of the sequencing and starting the large-scale amplification process next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Grady! Your project keeps getting more and more interesting with each post. I was just wondering what exactly is the margin for error when determining your results and what do you classify as a “clean result?”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Grady! Thanks for all of the explanation of your work; it gives me a really clear idea of what you've been working on, even though it seems like a very complicated and delicate process. What do you hope to achieve for next week? Good luck for the rest of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Grady! It's nice to see all the progress you have made with your experiments and the fact that you've already started to apply your procedure. How many primers were you able to obtain for the small-scale test? Do you think you'll be able to find a way to amplify the VJ rearrangement? I'm excited to see how you apply the data you gain from this small-scale sequencing and how it affects your large-scale procedure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Grady! It's great to hear that you're starting your research. How does multiple myeloma occur? I'm excited to see how you apply the small scale data and how it will affect what you do when you start doing everything on a larger scale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Grady! Thanks for the explanation, I feel like I understand your project a lot better. Just so I can understand how important you are, what are some of the effects of multiple myeloma/how does it affect the body? Keep it up with your research!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for explaining all these complicated concepts. Cancer is a very interesting subject and I hope to learn more from your project. Were the items obtained from San Diego hard to obtain? Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete