Spring Break!

Hi everyone! I hope you’ve all enjoyed your spring breaks so far--I know I have! Last week I wrote about some of the different reactions I’ve tried with the primers I’d ordered. This week I had time to pretty much finish most of those tests. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get the results I’d hoped to see.
My goal was to get one single amplicon from each PCR, and you might remember from the picture I shared last week that at least four or five were consistently appearing.  I’ve tried a few different approaches, including varying the reaction temperature, primer concentrations, and template genomic DNA concentration. I saw some slight improvements, but never anything close to a single band on the gels I ran.

Now, having an initial PCR product with multiple bands isn’t an insurmountable barrier to moving forward with qPCR assay design. But having many bands in that first PCR product means it’ll be hard to tell if the correct band is present. And if the correct band isn’t present, that means when we send the PCR product in for sequencing we won’t know if we’ll get the correct result. So, while we could live with not getting a single clean result from the initial PCR, we have to be sure the correct product is in there somewhere.

I used two methods to determine whether the correct amplicon was present. The first was a restriction enzyme digest. Restriction enzymes are proteins that recognize a short sequence of DNA and cleave the DNA strand at that point. They are very useful for creating recombinant DNA by splicing together genes from different sources. In my case, though, I just needed to make a cut at a known location in the amplicon I predicted. I found a cleavage site of an enzyme called BglII that would cut the correct amplicon into two pieces of different lengths. I set up a digest on my PCR product with BglII, and then ran the digest next to the original product. If my original product was correct, then I should have seen the longer band disappear and be replaced by two shorter bands. When I actually ran the digest, though, I didn’t get a clear result.

The other method I tried is called nested PCR. Nested PCR uses the product from one PCR as the template for another PCR, this time using primers that anneal within the original product. I used two primers that would anneal inside the correct product to set up a few PCRs. The results from those were also inconclusive, unfortunately.

I haven’t come close to exhausting all the possibilities for testing my primers. I could spend months trying to get these primers to work. However, I can probably be more productive by trying a different approach. I told you before that I hadn’t found any prior research containing primers I could use, but that’s not entirely true. Originally, I was hoping to find primers that would let determine which variable and joining regions were rearranged using only a single reaction. However, there is a paper with a set of nested primers (meaning two reactions will be required) for amplifying IgL breakpoints. Dr. Riggs helped me order that paper’s primers, and they should arrive next Tuesday. That paper showed some impressive success rates for amplifying IgL rearrangements, and all the simulations I’ve ran confirm those primers should amplify all rearrangements. I’m excited to try those out! Once I can amplify these initial rearrangements, I can move towards qPCR assay design, which will let me quantify these rearrangements in patient samples.


Enjoy the rest of your break! 

12 comments:

  1. Hey Grady, I'm a little uncertain about the CRISPR and the different machines you are using. Are you trying to build a brand new type of machine to detect different gene patterns or using different types of technology to see if the gene patterns are off? Hope you had a nice break :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grady! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the result you were looking for in your PCR product, but it's inspiring to see that you're finding ways to overcome this obstacle. I hope that the nested primers you ordered will amplify the rearrangements correctly, and I look forward to seeing next week's post. I hope you had an enjoyable spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grady! It is unfortunate that you were not able to find satisfactory results for your product, but I am sure that you will be able to obtain your goal soon enough. Out of the results for your two methods, which one did you think was better? I really hope that your new method works out well. Good luck on the rest of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Grady! It's unfortunate to see that your initial results weren't quite the one's you were looking; however, it is interesting to see the various methods your taking to achieve the results that you want. Will the amplification of the IgL rearrangements take longer now that the nested primer's take two reactions? I'm very curious to see your results from the new primers and how effectively they do amplify the rearrangements. Good luck and I hope you had a great spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Grady! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you were expecting, but I'm excited to hear about all the other methods you'll be trying. I'm curious to learn about your results. Good luck and I hope you enjoyed your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Grady, sorry to hear your results didn't go as planned. I am glad to see that this hasn't deterred you and you are very intent on being successful with your project. I look forward to your future posts, and hope you enjoyed your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see that you are using your slumps to encourage and succeed in your project. Looking forward to seeing the success that awaits in the future. Keep up the great work, hope you had a great Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy spring break! Don't forget to remember to not change your clock an hour because you forgot that it was daylight savings time! How much primer do you get in each order?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Grady! I'm sorry you weren't able to receive any conclusive results this week. I hope your luck fairs better in the coming weeks as I continue to check in and see how your progress is coming. Happy spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Grady! That title was so clickbait-y, I thought I was about to hear about your amazing spring break (not that the primers aren't fascinating). Anyways, I'm glad that you found some papers to help you with your project. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Grady! I agree with Mimi- I thought you were going to talk about your spring break lol. I suppose that not having any conclusive results must be frustrating, but all of your work is a step forward. I can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome, Lupus Cure,Fibromyalgia,Cancer,Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia Disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Stroke,Fibromyalgia,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis,I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/www.drituaherbalcenter.com . I also chat with him  he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guidelines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.  

    ReplyDelete