Week 6

Hi everyone! I can’t believe six weeks have already gone by! I’m happy to report that I’ve made some really substantial progress in the past week.

In last week’s post, I wrote that I’d be using primers from an old paper about IgL rearrangements in a technique called nested PCR.
http://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/life-science/cloning/cloning-learning-center/invitrogen-school-of-molecular-biology/pcr-education/pcr-reagents-enzymes/pcr-methods.html


Nested PCR is really useful for reducing the impact of non-specific binding of primers to template DNA. Primer sequences don’t actually have to match the target sequence perfectly and even with several mismatches they can often still anneal to the template strand. And throughout the genome, it’s often the case that multiple forward and reverse primer binding sites are located sufficiently close to each other to allow for amplification of several off-target sequences.

Here’s where the nested part comes in. We used a set of external, or outer, primers that were really similar to the ones I had designed, and they gave us pretty much the same kind of messy, largely nonspecific product as my earlier primers had.  In nested PCR, that often-messy product from the first reaction is used as the template DNA for the second reaction. The forward primer for the nested reaction anneals slightly downstream from the forward external primer, and the reverse primer from the nested reaction anneals slightly upstream from the external reverse primer.

Because the nested PCR reaction uses already-amplified DNA as the template, it drastically cuts down on the number of potential binding sites for forward and reverse primers. This means that nested PCR allows for much less off-target amplification than traditional PCR. Here’s the external products run out on a gel.

You can see it’s really not much cleaner than what I had before. However, after the nested reaction, the difference is very clear.


This is 10 separate reactions using the XG2 external PCR product along with different nested primers in order to determine which primer pair will work best for sequencing. You can see there is a single clearly visible dominant band in three of the lanes (1, 4, and 7). That quantity of product is more than sufficient for sequencing, which is the next step.

This nested PCR technique isn’t perfect, because it takes about 7 hours to run completely, and requires many reactions. That being said, I’m not convinced there’s a better alternative, and these disadvantages really don’t amount to much more than minor inconveniences. I am still working on optimizing this reaction for annealing temperature and other reaction conditions

In addition, I’ve tried using a different enzyme. For all my previous reactions, I had been using a high-fidelity polymerase called Q5, which costs roughly $2 per reaction. This enzyme, like many other high-fidelity polymerases,  is really useful for amplifying very long products with very few errors, so it’s the first enzyme my lab turns to for PCR. For this application, I really don’t need anything that fancy. Instead, I’m using a more basic Taq polymerase that only costs ~$0.10 per reaction. This week, with all the nested reactions I was running, I needed as many as 60 PCRs per day, so reduced reagent costs are pretty substantial. The Taq master mix is also a nice time-saver, because it comes pre-mixed with a loading dye that allows for very easy gel electrophoresis.

Interestingly, although I expected this to only be a cost-saving measure, it drastically improved the specificity of my PCRs. Dr. Riggs and I think this is probably due to the Q5 enzyme + buffer being more tolerant of primer/template mismatches. Here’s the same nested PCR reactions, but using the Taq enzyme instead of the high-fidelity Q5.
SECURE THE BAND ALERT: it doesn't get much clearer than these!

I’m planning on sending these out for sequencing on Monday, and hopefully I’ll be able to design and try my first qPCR by late next week!

Thanks for reading!









13 comments:

  1. Hæ Grady! If you ever need some number crunching of your sequenced data, feel free to contact me--I could hook you up to a whole server farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grady, these photos are really cool, although I don't really fully understand some parts of it (^.^')> What makes causes the nested PCR to not match the target sequence? Is it just something like human error or a flaw in the scanning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Grady! Wow, the PCRs are looking great. I'm so glad everything is going smoothly for you and best of luck in the coming week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grady! It's great to see that you found both a cost-efficient and an efficient enzyme; the bands in that last picture are incredibly clear! The process of nested PCR sounds very interesting - is nested PCR always used after standard PCR amplifies unexpected primer sites, or can it also be used as a first step to increase accuracy immediately? Looking forward to next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Grady, great to see you are having much success in your senior project! I cant believe it's been 6 weeks already, and am glad to see the progress you have made since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey bro, what do you consider to be the major key you've gained from all this research so far? Also, what sort of things do you do while you wait for the 7-hour PCRs? Secure the bags?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Grady! It is so nice to see the significant success in your project! Thank you sharing the visual for your data; it helps with understanding your findings. I look forward to hearing about your first qPCR! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Grady! It's nice to see that you're getting more clear results now, and that you not only managed to find a way to cut costs but also made your enzyme more efficient in the end. How much time does the Taq master mix actually end up saving you? I'm excited to read more on next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Grady! It's great to see you're getting better, clearer results now. That was a great way to cut costs. How much the new mix end up saving you? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excited to see the results of your first pCQR this Monday. It's amazing to see the results that you have so far even with how confusing the are. Keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Grady! It's awesome that your results are improving in multiple ways, in terms of efficiency and cost. I'm glad to see that even though the processes you mentioned can take 7 hours or so, you have the patience to carry them out anyway (I definitely don't have that patience haha). Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome, Lupus Cure,Fibromyalgia,Cancer,Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia Disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Stroke,Fibromyalgia,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis,I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/www.drituaherbalcenter.com . I also chat with him  he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guidelines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.  

    ReplyDelete